If you are looking for adventure, an amazing place to explore and give your life a new direction, then Sundarbans has got it all. The Sundarbans is located in southern Bangladesh and extreme southern part of West Bengal. It is a UNESCO World Heritage site. This region is densely covered by mangrove forests, and is the largest reserves for the Bengal Tiger.
PLACES TO VISIT
The best time to visit is from October to February when the climate is cool and temperate. From Kolkata, suburban trains can take you to Canning from where launch services are available for Sundarban. Safaris are available from Dhaka. It is possible and cheaper to organize your own trip, but you require a permit from the Divisional Forest Office in Khulna.You need to hire to boat to get you up to Hiron point. Places to include in you itinerary are :
- Hiron Point – Great for spotting tigers and other wildlife.
- Tin Kona Island – another popular spot for wildlife spotting
- Katka – a base for safaris and good spot for bird watching.
- Sudhanyakhali watch Tower – most of the tigers are spotted from this tower.
- Sajnekhali Watch tower – Another watch tower that also houses a museum, a Bonobibi Temple and a crocodile park within it’s premises.
- Netidhopani – A 400 year old temple
- Kanak – ideal for viewing Olive Ridley Turtles
- Holiday Island – famous for it’s Barking Deer.
FOOD & WATER
You can savor delicious dishes made of fresh catches from the water. It is best to carry your own drinking water or a water purifying tablet. Some lodges provide traditional foods.
- Sundarvilla Tel: 09051115228 or contact 3200-3800
- Suranjana Resort Tel: 09163914473
- Royal Bengal Resort Tel: 8017175322
Two of the most potentially dangerous animals reside within the sundarbans. It is the only place where Bengal Tigers still hunt and kill humans.The Saltwater Crocodiles are well known to be the largest and most aggressive reptiles. But as long as you are accompanied by a guide you don’t have much to worry about.